Using Stored procedure as a data source in SSRS

Who is online?  0 guests and 1 members
Home  »  Forums   »  microsoft business intelligence   »  reporting services   » Using Stored procedure as a data source in SSRS

Using Stored procedure as a data source in SSRS

Topic RSS Feed

Posts under the topic: Using Stored procedure as a data source in SSRS

Posted: 10/16/2011

Jedi Youngling 12  points  Jedi Youngling
  • Joined on: 7/1/2010

I have been using stored procedure as a data source in SSRS 2008. The procedure has many parameters. When I design a report in BIDS 2008, it calls the procedure each time when I  make a small change in design mode and preview the report. But I do not want to call the procedure every time when I am designing the  report.  Is is possible in BIDS 2008/Visual Studio 2008?

Thanks and Regards,

Ganesh

Posted: 10/16/2011

Jedi Master 5646  points  Jedi Master
  • Joined on: 1/21/2010

The only thing that I can think of that you may want to do is put a parameter above it and have it act more like a cascading parameter, but then you will not see the fruits of your labor when trying to preview. Unfortunately, there is no way to render a report without getting the data.

Posted: 10/17/2011

Jedi Youngling 12  points  Jedi Youngling
  • Joined on: 7/1/2010

I agree with you that  no report without getting the data. However, I am looking a similar functionality in SSRS  as in Crystal Report. In crystal report, we can switch the design and preview mode very quickly without refreshing the parameter value and see the report preview while designing reports. But in BIDS, when I make a small change in design mode and switch to the preview mode, it keeps running for a while to see the report preview.   We have other developers in the team who use Crystal report and beleive that  SSRS calls stored procedure from the database  eachtime when we make a small change in design mode and preview the report.

My question is similar to the following link.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/is/sqlreportingservices/thread/0b5a5603-b7b5-4be5-be3a-dbc4625d47ed

Thanks

Ganesh

Posted: 10/17/2011

Padawan 406  points  Padawan
  • Joined on: 7/27/2010

Other way – to create some query or testing table with a sample report data and make final select without other procedure steps(comment them temporally).

Posted: 1/16/2012

Jedi Youngling 2  points  Jedi Youngling
  • Joined on: 12/1/2009

If I understand your issue try this.  Set a default value for each parameter, that way the data is saved locally and the preview is faster.

HTH

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)