Earlier this month I had the pleasure of attending SQL Saturday in Chicago. I have attended several SQL Saturdays over the past three years, only one of which I did not have to travel a long way to get to. Why would anyone give up a Saturday to attend one of these events? Here are the top 10 reasons that SQL Saturday is a WIN for everyone and why you need to attend:
10. SWAG bags. Sponsors have stuff to give away. Use your SWAG bag to collect this stuff.
9. T-Shirts. If you are new to tech events, you will be thrilled to get a SQL Server related t-shirt or two.
8. Prizes. At the end of the day you could win a Kindle, an iPod, software, or another nice gift as the sponsor prizes are given away. You must be present to win.
7. Lunch for $10. Often you will get a delicious taste of the local fare, not just pizza.
6. Sponsors. SQL Saturday is free except for that $10 lunch because of the generosity of the sponsors. Be sure to stop by, say hello and thank them for sponsoring the event. You may even find the solution you have been looking for.
5. Great local speakers. Be sure to support the local folks who dream of speaking at Summit as they build up their street cred.
4. MVPs, book authors, gurus. These guys and gals are willing to give up their weekends and pay their own way just to speak at the SQL Saturday in your town.
3. Networking, networking, networking.
2. Sessions. See world class speakers present on SQL Server topics. (I am not exaggerating when I say that I saw the best presentation of my career at the Chicago SQL Saturday. If you get the chance to see Erin Stellato present Making the Leap from Profiler to Extended Events, do not pass it up!)
And the #1 reason you need to attend SQL Saturday: The SQL Server community is THE BEST tech community bar none. This is your chance to become a member of #SQLFamily!